Here are some best practices to help ensure safe purchases on Etsy.
Credit card safety
- Never give your full credit card number, tax identification number, or password in an email, Etsy Message, or over the phone.
- If you are making a transaction in person, do not speak your credit card information aloud. Be sure to sign for the transaction and request a receipt.
- Check your credit card statement regularly to track your spending and card activity.
- Keep track of your credit card: who is authorised to use it, and who has access to it.
- Change your passwords on a regular basis. The more complex a password is, the better you’re protected.
- If you share your computer or device, sign out of any website accounts before letting others use it.
- Check a seller’s reviews and shop policies before purchase, and send an Etsy Message to a seller before buying if you have questions or concerns.
- If you see an unrecognised charge from Etsy on your bank or credit card statement, review these considerations. If you are still unable to confirm the charge, contact our specialists, and they will help you investigate it.
- Learn how Etsy’s Purchase Protection programme can help you get a full refund on your item. If you contacted the seller more than 48 hours ago, choose Open a case so Etsy can help you. For qualifying orders, you’ll receive a refund for any item that doesn’t arrive, arrives damaged, or doesn’t match the item description or photos.
- Keep your transaction on Etsy. We can’t verify or assist with payments made outside of Etsy Payments or PayPal.
- If you receive a suspicious email claiming to be from Etsy, forward it to us at email@example.com.
- If you supply materials for a custom order from a shop, you do so at your own risk.
- In some circumstances, Etsy may use a third-party encryption service, SendSafely, to securely request additional information to confirm a transaction, such as a copy of government-issued photo ID.
Contacting Etsy Support
- Make sure you only reach out to Etsy Support through the Contact support button in the Help Centre. Don’t call phone numbers you may see circulating on the internet, as they may not be legitimate.
- Etsy Support won’t make unrequested phone calls without prior notification. If you receive an unexpected phone call from someone claiming to be Etsy Support, hang up and reach out to Etsy through the Contact support button if you need help.