How to request a personalised item
If an item can be personalised, you’ll see Add your personalisation on the listing page.
To personalise an item:
- On Etsy.com, open a listing that you want to buy.
- Choose the options you’d like for the order. This will differ depending on what options are available for the item.
- Under Add your personalisation, the text box will tell you what the seller needs to know. Fill out the requested information.
- Click Buy it now or Add to basket and proceed to checkout.
If you don't see Add your personalisation on the listing page, the seller might still be able to accommodate you. Try contacting them via Messages.
How to request a custom item
To request a custom item, you’ll need an account on Etsy. Learn how to create an Etsy account.
If a seller offers custom items, you’ll see a Request Custom Order button on their shop homepage. If you don't see the Request Custom Order button, the seller might still be able to accommodate you. Try contacting them via Messages.
Here are some suggestions on how to best convey what you're looking for:
- If you’d like to have something made based on an existing item on Etsy, send your request from the Send a message button on that item listing page.
- Add an image to help illustrate what you’re looking for.
- Ask how much the custom piece will cost depending on time, materials, or other details.
- Discuss the length of time it will take to make the item.
- Add a “needed by” date if you require the item by a particular time.
Discuss the specifics of your request with your seller to make sure you both know what will be created.
After you send a request
Once you send a custom request, you’ll see a Custom Requests folder in your Messages. Check the folder for updates from the seller on the item's progress.
If the seller can create the item, they may publish a private custom listing for you.
When the seller finishes your item, you’ll be notified via email and Messages that your order is ready to purchase. You can add the listing to your basket directly from the request page or from the private listing page. This way, the seller has a record of the transaction, and you have a safe and secure way to pay for the item.
This listing won't be publicly viewable in Etsy Search or the shop before purchase. However, it will appear with the seller's other public sold items after you buy it.