Digital items come in two categories:
Instant downloads: Ready-made files that the buyer can access immediately upon purchase
- Made-to-order downloads: Custom files made to a buyer’s specification that will be sent to them upon completion.
Follow the instructions to list an item on Etsy and choose Digital item under Type. To create a made-to-order digital listing:
- Go to Listing Details.
- Find About this listing.
- Go to the When did you make it? dropdown.
- Select Made To Order.
How to add files to your digital listing
When listing a digital item that is an instant download, you’ll need to upload the files that the buyer is purchasing when you create the listing. You can upload up to five digital files. The maximum size for each file is 20 MB.
Uploaded files will appear in a list with their names, file sizes, and upload dates. The file names you see will be the same ones your buyers see. We don't have a way of editing the name after uploading, so be sure to name your files appropriately first.
File names are limited to 70 alphanumeric characters, periods, underscores, or hyphens.
Add a note for buyers
You can add a note for buyers that will apply to all digital listings purchased from your shop. After a purchase, a buyer can see the note on their Downloads page.
Can I offer variations for my digital items?
No, you can’t offer variations for digital items.
How can I change the file attached to an instant digital listing?
To remove a file, select the recycling bin icon next to its file name when you create or edit a listing, and add new files to the listing using the Upload files button. You will be unable to publish or save an instant digital listing if there is no file attached to it. Cancelling an order is the only way to revoke a buyer’s access to a file after it has been purchased.
If I exclusively sell digital items, will I be eligible for Star Seller?
Yes, if you sell only digital items, you’re still eligible for Star Seller. When you view your Star Seller dashboard you won’t see an on-time dispatch & tracking score, but you’ll still be considered based on other metrics.
How to complete made-to-order digital orders
Unlike instant downloads, you don’t upload a file when creating a made-to-order digital listing. Once you’re ready to send the finished file to the buyer, complete the order through the following steps:
- On Etsy.com, go to your Shop Manager and select Orders & Delivery.
- Your incomplete orders are displayed under the New tab.
- Check the box of the order you want to finish, then choose Complete order.
- Select the Upload file button. You can attach up to five files with a maximum size of 80MB each.
- Finish by selecting the Complete order button. The buyer will be notified by email that their order is now available for download.