When you purchase a FedEx® Shipping Label on Etsy, the label’s cost is an estimate from FedEx based on your entered shipping service, weight, dimensions, origin zip code, and destination zip code. When the package is delivered, FedEx will verify that all of the information you entered is accurate. If any discrepancies are found at that time, FedEx will adjust the final cost of the label. Associated credits, additional fees, or surcharges will be listed on your Etsy bill as a “FedEx Shipping Label Adjustment”.
Below is a list of the most common fees that FedEx may charge*:
- Base cost is determined by the distance between package shipping origin and destination and the chargeable weight of the package.
All FedEx® packages are measured by dimensional weight, regardless of the box size.
Dimensional weight is based on volume – the amount of space a package occupies in relation to its actual weight.
- The total base cost is assessed based on either the package’s actual weight or its dimensional weight – whichever is greater. Dimensional weight is calculated by FedEx as: length x width x height / 139. See here for FedEx's dimensional weight calculator.
- FedEx charges a fuel surcharge on all domestic and international shipments. These surcharges are adjusted on a monthly basis depending on fuel costs.
Delivery Area Surcharge
- A delivery area surcharge applies to packages shipped to select US zip codes, often in remote and sparsely populated areas.
Additional Handling Surcharge
- FedEx charges an additional $12 for both FedEx Express® and FedEx Ground packages that are oversized.
- A residential delivery charge applies to shipments to a home or private residence, including locations where a business is operated from a home, or to any shipment in which the shipper has designated the delivery address as a residence.
- FedEx charges a fee of $16 for Saturday delivery or pickup. This is available for and applies to FedEx Priority Overnight® and FedEx 2Day®.
- FedEx charges a fee of $4.75 for both direct and indirect signature options.
On Call Pickup
- A charge applies when you request a pickup, including requests made using FedEx electronic shipping solutions or by calling 1.800.GoFedEx.
- If you provide an incomplete or incorrect address, FedEx may try to find the correct address to complete the delivery. There is a $15 fee assessed for address correction.
- FedEx charges a fee of $80 for packages that weigh 150 lbs or less and exceed 108” in length or 130” in length and girth.
- FedEx charges a fee of $300 for Ground packages that measure more than 108” in length, 165” in length and girth, or weigh more than 150 lbs.
*Other fees may apply. For more details on these and other FedEx surcharges, see here.