Mobile device requirements
To accept payments in person using the Sell on Etsy card reader, your device must meet the following requirements:
- Support iOS 9.3 and later
- Support Android (4.1/ Jelly Bean and later)
- Have a functioning 3.5mm headset jack with microphone
- Support for location services and Internet access
If your device meets the above requirements and you’re still having issues with the card reader, contact Etsy Support by clicking the link at the bottom of this page.
Issues with the Sell on Etsy card reader
|Device is not recognising the card reader||Disconnect the card reader and reconnect it. You should see an on-screen window verifying that the reader has successfully connected.|
|Device is not registering a card swipe||Be sure to swipe the card in one continuous motion, with the front of the card facing you. If the reader still isn't registering the swipe, make sure the magnetic strip on the back of the card is in good condition.|
|Device is not recognising the reader or registering a swipe||Record cash payments or manually enter the credit card information. Additional fees apply for manual entry.|
Additional troubleshooting tips
Try these additional tips if you continue have issues with the Sell on Etsy card reader:
- Sign out of the app and back in.
- Delete the app and re-install it.
- Check to see if your device is running the latest supported operating system and that your Sell on Etsy app is up to date.
- Make sure you have location services enabled.
- Make sure your reader is fully plugged in. Try unplugging and re-plugging the reader into your device.
- Try removing your phone case. Phone cases can sometimes prevent the reader from being fully plugged in.
- Check both the reader and the magnetic strip on the card to make sure they're clean. Try cleaning out the reader swipe area with a dry cloth.
- Confirm that the Sell on Etsy app has access to your device’s microphone.
- Turn off any audio settings that may disrupt the card reader, such as Audio Effects, Mono Audio, etc.
- For iOS devices, go to Music in your device settings. Click on Volume Limit and slide Max Volume all the way to the right.
- For Android devices, go to Settings > Music or Settings > Accessibility.
- Completely sign out of the Sell on Etsy app and then sign back in. Tap Account > Sign Out.
- Try resetting the app by uninstalling and reinstalling it.
Still having trouble? You can contact Etsy Support by email or by requesting a phone call by clicking the link at the bottom of this page.