MailChimp is an email management system that allows you to collect email address and send newsletters to your buyers. Email campaigns like this can help build your brand and bring existing buyers back to your website.
If you have an active website through Pattern, you can easily connect it to MailChimp from your dashboard. Once you do that, anyone who visits your site can subscribe to receive these emails from you.
Important: It is against Etsy's policy (and the law) to add people’s email addresses to a newsletter without their consent. For more information, please review our Seller Policy.
- If you already have a MailChimp account and want to connect it to your Pattern site, go to Shop Manager > Your Pattern shop name (under Sales Channels) > Marketing.
- Click Connect MailChimp to activate a newsletter sign-up field on your Pattern site. This will prompt you to sign in to MailChimp to connect your account to your site.
- After you sign in, you'll see a message from MailChimp confirming that you successfully connected.
If you don’t have a MailChimp account, you can create a basic account for free on MailChimp.com. You can also create an account by clicking Create one under the Connect button of the Pattern Dashboard.
Note: MailChimp strongly recommends that you have a professional email address and use it to send emails from your MailChimp account. This is because many common email providers have strict policies to prevent spam and spoof emails. This Help article explains how to set up a custom email address for your domain.
What buyers will see
Buyers will see a newsletter signup field at the bottom of every page on your Pattern site. They'll also see this on the confirmation page after completing a purchase. Once a buyer enters their email address, they'll see a “Thanks for signing up!” message to confirm they successfully subscribed.
After a buyer has successfully subscribed, they will receive an email with an extra confirmation step verifying that they have opted into receiving marketing emails. This extra step provides a more compliant method for collecting buyer email addresses, including under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) for people in the European Union. See this MailChimp help article about GDPR for more information.
Once you’ve connected and published these changes in your Pattern settings, you’ll manage your email lists and send email campaigns entirely through MailChimp.
The Manage Pattern email list button in the Pattern Dashboard will take you directly to your Pattern site list on MailChimp where you can manage your subscriber list and view your list data.
Disconnecting MailChimp from Pattern
- From your Pattern Dashboard, click Disconnect MailChimp from Pattern.
- Confirm your changes by clicking Disconnect from MailChimp in the popup window.
You can reconnect to MailChimp at any time by clicking Connect.
Note: Your Pattern subscriber email list will remain in MailChimp and you can continue to use it after disconnecting.
- Getting Started With MailChimp covers the basics of email list management, sending campaigns, and using MailChimp's reporting and analytics data.
- MailChimp for Online Sellers talks about MailChimp's tools and email marketing best practices, specifically for online sellers.
- MailChimp Knowledge Base is the main help page for MailChimp. Enter keywords in the search bar related to your question, or browse the Popular Topics section.
To learn more about using MailChimp with your Pattern site, check out our guide to using email newsletters.