The Etsy community relies on its sellers to provide consistently excellent customer service. As a business owner, creating strong relationships with your customers is key to the success of your shop. Putting in the effort to connect with your clients can have a powerful impact on your positive reviews, repeat sales, and exposure on Etsy.com.
We expect sellers on Etsy to read and follow our Service Level Standards.
Create a great customer experience in your Etsy shop
Customer service starts the moment a shopper first clicks on your listing. Your product alone isn’t enough to help a shopper decided to make a purchase. Shoppers also want to know key information like product specifications (size, colour, material, etc.), how long it will take to deliver, and if they can return or exchange products. Clear listings and policies build trust with potential buyers.
- Make sure product photos are clear and show the details. Learn more in our Ultimate Guide to Product Photography.
- Make sure important product specifications are clear to avoid shoppers having to message and ask questions.
- Set expectations that you can realistically meet for things like production and dispatch timelines. Dispatching on time according to your items processing times can increase your chances of becoming a Star Seller.
- Communicate detailed and transparent shop policies.
Including product specifications in your listing descriptions can help shoppers make informed decisions about purchasing from a shop. To edit your listing details:
Make sure your policies are clear and consistent, and that you can fulfil them, especially if you allow returns or exchanges. To edit your shop policies:
- On Etsy.com, click Shop Manager.
- Click the pencil icon next to your shop under Sales channels.
- Scroll to the Shop policies section.
Your shop policies have several sections. Each section is a template and you can select the options that you want for your shop.
- Payment options
- Returns & exchanges
- More information
You can edit your shop policies from the Sell on Etsy app. However, you need to set them up on Etsy.com.
Communicating with buyers
Communication between sellers and buyers is one of the most important factors in a successful transaction. Shoppers may message you with questions before they purchase a product, after they order with questions about delivery timelines or issues with their order, or with questions or concerns after they receive their order. Responding to the majority of your Messages within 24 hours can also increase your chances of becoming a Star Seller.
- Use an inviting and polite tone to establish trust, even when dealing with a difficult situation.
- Be consistent and quick to get customers the information they need.
- Address questions or concerns with clear, concise answers.
- Be honest and set expectations you can realistically meet.
- Create Saved Replies for your most frequently asked questions.
- Use the Sell on Etsy app to answer Messages on the go.
- If you plan to be away, use auto-responses with info about when you will respond.
To reply to a Message:
- On Etsy.com, click Shop Manager.
- Click Messages.
- Click a message with a buyer.
- Type your response in the text box.
- Click Send.
To start a Message with a buyer:
Resolving customer service issues
Whether it’s a lost package, delayed production, or a customer is not happy with a product they purchased, sometimes things go wrong. By acknowledging the problem and taking practical steps to resolve the issue, you can often alleviate a frustrating situation and build customer loyalty.
- Acknowledge the customer’s concern so they feel heard.
- Instead of placing blame, focus on doing what you can to make it right.
- Be patient and understanding in your communication with the customer.
- Work with the customer to find a solution swiftly.
- If a product is lost in delivery or a customer requests changes to a custom product, consider taking a small loss for the return of customer satisfaction and loyalty.
- When working with a customer, keep our extortion policies in mind and remember that a review should never be used as leverage, a contingency, or a demand.
Customer service doesn’t stop after the transaction has ended. Many customers become repeat buyers so keeping in touch can go a long way to build those relationships. Before reaching out to customers, be sure that you have the buyer’s consent to message them and are complying with applicable local marketing laws. Learn more in our seller policy.
- Follow up after a purchase to make sure the customer is satisfied.
- Consider sending past buyers special coupon codes to entice past buyers to purchase again.
- Stay in touch with loyal buyers to let them know about special offers, new products, or shop announcements.