Interested in selling on Etsy? Welcome!
This guide helps you through the first steps of opening your shop, shares tips on how to get a strong start, and provides resources for further guidance along the way.
Jump to a section:
Get to know Etsy
Etsy is a unique marketplace for handmade items, vintage goods, and craft supplies. On Etsy.com, you’ll find a community of makers, small-business owners, and shoppers who all share a passion for uncommon and rare goods.
Open your shop
Before you create your shop, sign in or create an Etsy account. You’ll use this account to run your shop and to buy from other makers on Etsy. After creating your account, add your profile picture and bio to let other people in the Etsy community know who you are.
To open your Etsy shop:
- Click Sell on Etsy at the top right of Etsy.com.
- Click Open your Etsy shop.
- Select your shop language, country, and currency, then click Save and continue.
- Choose your shop name, then click Save and continue.
You need to complete the first step of opening your shop on a desktop web browser. Once your shop is open, you can manage your shop on the Sell on Etsy app.
Finish your shop setup
Once you’ve signed up to sell on Etsy, there are a few steps you need to take to complete your shop setup and prepare to start selling items. Like any online business, you should think through key factors in your selling workflow. Consider things like production time, policies, and your plan for shipping.
Key shop elements to address:
- Banner and shop logo: Upload clear photos that represent the style of your brand and make a strong first impression on shoppers.
- Shop announcement: Share a brief welcome message with shoppers.
- About section: Upload videos or photos and share the story behind your products, how your business came to be, and what your vision is for your brand. Learn how to craft a great About section.
- Shop members: Introduce any other members of your team or people you collaborate with.
- Shop policies: Outline all your policies for shipping, returns, exchanges, payments, custom items, or any other guidelines that are important for shoppers to know before they make a purchase.
Add listings to your shop
Once you’ve completed all your shop sections, you are ready to start adding products to your Etsy shop. When you add a product to your Etsy shop, we call this a listing. Learn how to list an item.
Marketing, branding, and promotion
A marketing strategy is key to the success of your Etsy shop. Marketing will help new customers find your products, lets you existing customers up to date with the latest with your shop, and can lead to an overall rise in sales.
Tips for getting started with marketing:
- Make sure you’re optimizing your shop for Etsy search. Make sure to add your location so that your shop can be found in local searches.
- Link your shop to your social media accounts so you can easily craft posts about your business.
- Consider marketing your shop through paid advertising.
- Consider offering discounts to incentivize shoppers to buy with sales and coupons.
- Find a local craft fair or market where you can sell your goods.
- Join the Etsy community and teams where you can network with sellers and shoppers.
Manage your shop
After you’ve listed your items in your shop, there are other factors to manage as your business develops and grows.
Tips for managing your shop:
- Make sure you follow customer service best practices so you’re qualified for Etsy’s Seller Protection Policy.
- Learn what to do when you make your first sale.
- Read about Etsy’s Review system.
- Manage your shop on the go using the Sell on Etsy app.
- Take a break from your shop when needed.