You can use private, custom listings in your Etsy shop to allow your buyers to purchase made-to-order items. You'll be able to add this feature once your shop is open to the public.
How to enable custom order requests
- Go to Shop Manager > Settings > Options.
- Save the Request Custom Order setting as Enabled.
A Request Custom Order link will appear on your shop and on all your listings.
Note: If only some of your listings are customizable, you can opt out of your listings that aren't. Edit the listing and remove the check mark next to Buyers can request customization.
The maximum processing time you can place on a custom order is 6-8 weeks.
What your buyer will see
When a buyer clicks Request custom order, they'll see a window where they can describe what they're looking for and the date they need it by (if there is a deadline).
If you need more information, send your buyer a conversation to work out the details.
How you and your buyer complete the order
When the buyer initially requests an item, you'll receive a conversation. Look for it in your Custom Requests folder.
Once you work out the details of exactly what the buyer wants and how much it will cost, create a custom, private listing directly from the original Custom Request Conversation thread.
Note: It's not possible to choose a calculated shipping profile for custom orders at this time.
- The listing won't appear in your public shop or in search, which means that other buyers won't be able to purchase it. Once your listing is sold, though, it will appear on your public Sold Items page with your other sold listings.
- Once you publish this listing, we'll send your buyer an email with a button to purchase the listing.
- Private listings don't have a way to transfer digital downloads. If you're selling a custom digital download, email it to your buyer separately or use a third party file sharing service.
- To view your private listings, go to Shop Manager > Listings. They'll be labeled Private.
- If your buyer sent the request through a regular conversation, you can still create a private custom listing! In the conversation, click Make this a custom order. Then click Start building the custom order.
How this differs from listing variations
Enabling custom order requests shows buyers that you can work with them to create custom, one-of-a-kind items.
Listings created from a custom request are private between you and the buyer. Creating a private listing from a custom request begins a flow of communication between you and your buyer.
If you want to offer specific options that don't require further customization or communication between you and your buyer, you can use Variations to offer different sizes, colors, styles, or other options.
For more information on using and managing custom orders, be sure to check out this Seller Handbook post.