How to Update Your Taxpayer Information

If you offer Etsy Payments, you can update the taxpayer ID on file with your shop from the Taxpayer ID page:

  1. On, click the Your Account icon, then click Shop Manager.
  2. Click Finances.
  3. Click Taxpayer ID or VAT ID.
  4. Click Edit to update your taxpayer name, address, or ID.
  5. Enter your correct information.
  6. Click Save.

If you enter US taxpayer details, we’ll check that the information matches the information on file in the IRS database. If your information doesn’t match, you may not be able to save your changes. You can contact the IRS to confirm your correct taxpayer information. Contact the IRS about:

What type of taxpayer ID can I use?

For most countries, you can add one taxpayer ID. This is generally your VAT ID or, for US sellers, your federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) or federal Social Security Number (SSN).

For taxpayers with citizenship in the US that don’t reside in the US, France sellers with SIREN/T IDs, or Quebec sellers with Canadian GST IDs, you can add secondary taxpayer details to include this information.

Sellers with Quebec taxpayer IDs

As you’re a Quebec seller, your primary taxpayer ID is your QST number, and you can add a GST number as your secondary ID.

Sellers with French taxpayer details

If you have both a French VAT number and a SIREN/T number, your French VAT number should be your primary taxpayer ID. If you don’t have a VAT number, you can provide us with your SIREN/SIRET number in the secondary taxpayer field.

Non-US seller with US taxpayer details

If you’re an American citizen located outside the US, you can add your Social Security Number (SSN) as your secondary taxpayer detail.

Sellers with US taxpayer information

For 1099-K requirements, the only US taxpayer IDs accepted are:

  • A federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) or
  • A federal Social Security Number (SSN)

If you're a US business

If you’ve organized yourself legally as a US business (and assuming you are not a sole proprietorship) and use an Employer Identification Number (EIN), you may need to enter your business name under "Legal Name and Address" on the Taxpayer ID page. This should be the business name that is registered to the EIN with the IRS. Please refer to the 147c letter provided by the IRS after you registered your EIN. This letter should indicate the correctly matched taxpayer name and EIN.

If you are a US sole proprietor

If you are using a Social Security Number (SSN) or using an EIN as a sole proprietorship, you may need to enter your individual legal name. When using an SSN, this is the name listed on your Social Security Card.

If you’re unsure of your correct taxpayer details, we recommend that you contact the IRS. Etsy is unable to provide sellers with specific tax advice.

Did this help?
Why didn’t this article help you? (select all that apply, required question)

Thanks for your feedback!

Still have questions?

Contact support