Many purchases on Etsy are gifts. Buyers can mark the order as a gift during checkout. That means when you print a packing slip, the slip will automatically omit the breakdown of what the buyer paid.
You can offer gift wrapping and gift message services:
How to offer gift wrapping services
To offer gift wrapping services:
- From Options, scroll down to Offer gift wrapping.
- Select Enabled.
- Enter a price per order for your gift wrapping service. This fee will be applied to each order, not to individual items in the order. You can’t set the price to 0.
- You can also upload an optional photo. Upload a photo to really give shoppers a good idea of the kind of gift wrap you're providing.
- You can include an optional message to the buyer. Provide some specific information about your wrapping paper. Include details like how the item will be wrapped or if there are any instructions the buyer may need to know.
Sales tax on gift wrapping services in the US
In the US, sales tax rules for offering gift wrap services can vary by state. Be sure to check your local sales tax laws to see if there are any you'll need to follow.
If you need to offer sales tax for offering gift wrap:
- In Shop Manager, click Finances.
- Click Payment settings.
- Click the Sales tax tab.
- Adjust your sales tax settings by state, a zip code range, or by specific zip codes.
- Check the Yes box under Apply to gift wrap?
- Click Save.
How to offer gift message services
To offer gift message services:
- From Options, scroll down to Offer gift messages.
- Select Enabled.
The buyer can include a gift message when they checkout. If they select to include a gift message in their order, all you'll have to do is print it out and place it in with their package.
The gift message will include:
- The buyer's custom message
- Your shop name
- The item purchased
Can I disable buyers marking an order as a gift?
You can't disable a buyer’s ability to mark an order as a gift. However, if you don't want to offer gift wrapping or gift message services, you can disable those options.
When a buyer marks an order as a gift, the price of the order is removed from the invoice. You don't need to take any further action unless you offer and the buyer also selected gift wrap or message services.