Social media is a powerful marketing tool that can help you promote your products, reach potential new customers, and entice existing customers to buy again.
Tips for using social media as a marketing tool:
- Post regularly so followers come to expect and look forward to your posts. Create a schedule so you avoid large breaks between posts.
- Respond to comments to make your customers part of the conversation.
- Share a mix of posts that promote your products, showcase your process and inspiration, and provide value to your followers.
- Tailor your posts to each channel to avoid overwhelming your followers with similar content.
How to create a social media post on Etsy
From the Social media section in your shop, you can quickly promote your shop and share important updates to sites like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest from your computer or the Sell on Etsy app.
There are six types of posts you can create through Etsy:
- Latest listings you’ve added (up to 25 of your most recent listings)
- Recent milestones successes, like your shop’s anniversary
- Current or upcoming sales and coupons
- 5-star reviews
- Items you’ve favorited
- Shop updates (on the Sell on Etsy app only)
To create a social media post from your computer:
- On Etsy.com, click Shop Manager.
- Click Marketing.
- Click Social Media.
- Click Social accounts to connect an account.
- When you’re ready to create a post, click Create post.
- Select the type of post you want to create.
- Click Next.
- Add images and a caption.
- Select the networks you want to share your post with.
- Click Post.
To create a social media post on the Sell on Etsy app:
- In the Sell on Etsy app, tap More.
- Tap Marketing.
- Tap Social media.
- Select a milestone, listing, or promotion that you'd like to share.
- Use the photos provided in the app, or upload your own photo.
- Write a short description of your post to give shoppers an idea of what you’re sharing. To increase visibility for your post, include relevant hashtags. We'll suggest some for you!
- Tap Share, then select a social media channel where you want others to see your post.
- You’ll receive a confirmation message that you successfully shared your post, with the option to share it on more social channels.
Shop updates in the Sell on Etsy app
The social media section of your shop on the Sell on Etsy app also allows you to upload and share photos that:
- Show a work in progress
- Highlight new items in your shop
- Display different ways that your products might be used
To post shop updates from the Sell on Etsy app:
- Scroll down to Shop updates in the Social media section of your shop.
- Select the type of shop update you want to share.
- Take a photo or add an existing photo, then tap Next.
- Tag the photo with a relevant listing in your shop and add a caption.
- To make your post live, tap Share on Etsy.
- Once your photo has been uploaded and tagged, you’ll have the option to share it on your social media apps.
- To edit a shop update in the app, select an individual post. Tap the three dots in the top right corner of your device's display.
Any photos you share from shop updates will collect into a feed that is linked to your shop homepage. It will also be shown to buyers who follow you on Etsy.
Buyers can buy the items that are tagged in the photos by clicking on the orange price tag or clicking through the listing image on the right of the photo.
To learn more about marketing your Etsy shop, read the Beginners Guide to Marketing.