Etsy buyers located in Germany can receive their orders before paying for them, using an invoice product called Pay Later from our partner Klarna. Klarna is an online payments company, based and licensed in Sweden.
Receiving your Klarna Invoice
If your order is marked as shipped by the seller within 21 days of checkout, the Klarna invoice is sent 5 days after the marked as shipped date. This ensures that you have time to receive the product before receiving the invoice.
If the order is not marked as shipped within 21 days, the Klarna invoice will be issued 22 days from your purchase date. Please review the Concerns about your Klarna order section below if you do not receive your purchase within the timeline provided by the seller.
If the order is for a digital item, the Klarna invoice is sent immediately after the order is completed.
Paying your Klarna Invoice
Please do not submit payment for Klarna orders off-Etsy, such as paying the seller through a direct bank transfer or through PayPal. You must pay the invoice that Klarna sends to your email account and Klarna account for your Etsy purchases. If you made payment off-Etsy directly to your seller, you’ll need to work directly with that seller to recover the funds.
If you’re buying something on Etsy, and you’re located in Germany, you should see the option to pay with Klarna Invoice.
To pay with Klarna Invoice:
- When you’re ready to checkout on Etsy.com, click Cart.
- Under How you’ll pay, choose Klarna Invoice.
- Click Proceed to checkout.
- Enter your information.
- Click Checkout.
- Klarna then conducts an identity and credit assessment. If you’re approved, the order will complete and you’ll receive an email receipt from Etsy.
- Once your order is shipped or more than 21 days have passed, you’ll receive an email with instructions for how to pay your invoice. You can pay in the Klarna app or on klarna.com.
If you ordered items from multiple shops, you may receive separate payment instructions from Klarna. Learn more about multi-shop checkout on Etsy.
Note: At this time, Klarna Pay Later invoice payment is only available to buyers located in Germany. If you don’t see this option and you’re in Germany, make sure your region settings are set to Germany and EUR.
Information shared with Klarna
In order to conduct a credit and identity check, Klarna needs to have accurate details of your name and billing address. We recommend using your billing address as your shipping address for your initial purchases using Klarna.
Etsy sends your full name, billing address, shipping address, phone number and date of birth to Klarna. This information is used only for verification purposes and to fulfill your order.
Receiving a refund for your Klarna order
Your receipt of the refund depends on whether you’ve received and/or paid the Klarna invoice:
- If you have made a full payment for your order, Etsy will contact Klarna to refund all or part of your order. Klarna will process your refund as soon as possible and may contact you for additional information.
- If you’ve received your invoice but haven’t yet paid it, Etsy will contact Klarna to adjust the amount due on your invoice, and if a balance is still owed, Klarna will issue a new invoice to you.
- If you haven’t received your invoice yet, the refund will process after it has been issued. See our Receiving your Klarna Invoice section for more information on when you can expect to receive your Klarna invoice.
Learn more about receiving your refund from Klarna.
Concerns about your Klarna order
Canceling a Klarna order
While your cancellation is being processed, you will need to contact Klarna Customer Support to pause your order and avoid incurring unnecessary payment reminders and charges.
If the seller agrees to cancel the order, Etsy will inform Klarna to update your payment instruction.
Returning a Klarna order you’ve received
If you would like to return your order, or part of your order, please contact the seller via Conversations or the Etsy case system to arrange this. Learn more about refunds, returns and exchanges on Etsy. Items which have been customized or personalized for you are excluded from the Etsy returns policy.
While your return is being processed, you will need to contact Klarna Customer Support to pause your order and avoid incurring unnecessary payment reminders and charges.
What to do if you didn’t receive your Klarna order
Contact your seller to check if the order has been shipped. Next, you must contact Klarna Customer Service to pause your payment due date, in order to avoid unnecessary fees and reminders.
If you haven’t received your order or the item you received is not as described, you can report a problem to Etsy by opening a case. The only way for Etsy to formally intervene is for you to open a case. Learn how to open a case on Etsy.
VAT Invoice for Klarna purchase
You will receive a payment instruction from Klarna about how to pay for your Etsy purchase. This not a VAT invoice for the sale of the goods. Please contact the seller directly if you require a VAT invoice.