We appreciate that during this global health crisis Etsy sellers are showing outstanding communal support by making handmade items like face covers, masks and shields, including those based on requests from hospitals and responders with current needs.
Handmade face masks and covers are generally allowed to be sold on Etsy, however they must comply with these restrictions:
- If you sell handmade face covers, you must be transparent about your products, the standards you follow, and your making process.
- Under Etsy policies, you may not represent your items as medical devices.
- You may not advertise your products as designed or intended to mitigate, prevent, treat, diagnose, or cure any disease or health condition.
- You may not sell masks designed for or intended to be used by children under 2 years old.
This article outlines how to ensure your handmade items like face covers qualify to be sold on the Etsy marketplace.
Why are there restrictions on handmade face covers?
Due to varying degrees of regulation around the world, Etsy’s Prohibited Items Policy restricts statements or suggestions that an item can mitigate, prevent, treat, diagnose or cure any disease or health condition. This kind of medical claim is prohibited on Etsy even if you believe it to be true, and regardless of any disclaimer you include.
It is also prohibited to represent a mass-market product as a handmade product or to undertake actions that may be unlawful, like price gouging.
How to sell handmade face covers on Etsy
First, refer to our Handmade Policy to ensure your face covers qualify to be sold on Etsy.
Then ensure that your listings for face covers don’t contain:
- Associations with COVID-19 (novel coronavirus)
- Associations with other medical or health conditions, or germ prevention
- Medical claims including, but not limited to::
- Virus, bacteria, pathogen, Influenza or Flu protection or prevention
- Antibacterial/Antimicrobial properties
- CDC, FDA, or other official approval or compliance
- N95 comparisons
These restrictions apply to all images and text, including the keywords you use in your titles and tags.
Can I reference information about handmade face masks that I find?
As an Etsy seller, you may not use any external resources as a basis to make any health or medical claim. While there are various resources available that may provide guidance on handmade face covers and related products, including those that may be provided to you by those who request face covers, Etsy cannot speak to the efficacy of these resources.
Setting your shop up for success during times of high demand
Take a step back to establish honest and healthy limits around working hours and inventory. We encourage you to take the time to review and update your listings to reflect realistic expectations.
This includes showing only the quantities you have on hand or that you can realistically make in the time you have available. Proactively set expectations with your buyers by adjusting your processing times and estimated delivery dates to accurately reflect the time you’ll need to complete your orders.
To support sellers who experience a high order volume and to ensure customer satisfaction and order fulfillment, Etsy may take actions such as changing visibility within search or other steps under our policies.
Your responsibility as an Etsy Seller
As with any item you sell, it is your responsibility to know and comply with all associated laws and regulations, in addition to our policies. We encourage you to speak with a qualified expert about which specifications and regulations apply to you and your face covers.