The Consumer Protection (E-Commerce) Rules, 2020 (the “Rules”) are intended to prevent unfair trade practices in e-commerce for consumers in India. These rules apply to e-commerce entities that offer goods or services to consumers in India, including marketplaces like Etsy.
What is Etsy?
Etsy is a global marketplace for unique and creative goods. Etsy is made up of individual third-party sellers who run their own shops, create their own policies, and are responsible for their inventory, shipments, and complying with the law. We provide a venue, but Etsy does not manufacture goods, hold physical inventory, or ship items on behalf of our third-party sellers. The content uploaded on Etsy's marketplace is generated by independent sellers, who are not employees, agents, or representatives of Etsy.
How do the Rules impact Indian consumers?
Buyers located in India are welcome to use our existing channels to contact us about any concerns they have through Etsy’s Help Center, which will allow Etsy to most efficiently address any issues.
For additional support, Etsy has an appointed Grievance Officer for India consumer outreach.
Name: Ms Mukherji
Designation: Senior Manager
EtsyStore Private Limited
B583, Adjacent Park Plaza, Gurgaon In, Sushant Lok PH1, Gurgaon, Haryana, India 122001
Buyers based in India (along with any other members who live outside of North and South America) contract with Etsy Ireland UC, a subsidiary of Etsy, Inc. when using Etsy. The contact information for Etsy Ireland UC can be found on Etsy’s Legal Imprint.
India consumers with questions about a seller’s listing content or shop practices may feel free to directly contact the seller through Etsy Messages. Consumers in India may also choose to contact the India National Consumer Helpline.
How does Etsy comply with the Rules?
Etsy complies with the Rules through its existing policies and procedures, as summarized below:
- Sellers on Etsy must accurately represent their items in listings and listing photos, respect the intellectual property of others, and may not coordinate pricing with other sellers.
- By listing a product for sale on Etsy, sellers agree that they are responsible for complying with all applicable laws and regulations, including requirements regarding labeling, disclosures, and fair pricing.
- Etsy’s Anti-Discrimination and Hate Speech Policy prohibits the use of our Services to engage in discrimination.
- Sellers may not engage in shilling (falsely inflating their review scores), or otherwise undermine the integrity of Etsy’s reviews system.
- If a seller is unable to complete an order, they must notify the buyer and cancel the order.
- Buyers can request that a seller provide a return or exchange or can choose to open a case against a seller.
- Sellers must disclose their geolocation, such as the location of their shop or the country they ship from.
To contact the Grievance Officer’s team for additional help, click Contact support below.