Welcome to selling on Etsy! This guide will walk you through setting up your shop and adding your first listings.
Sign up to sell
Start by clicking on the Sell on Etsy link at the top right of the site, or visit this link. If you've already started setting up a shop in the past, click Your Shop at the top of the page to continue.
Set shop preferences
Select your shop’s language, country, and currency.
- Shop language: The language you choose is the default language you use to describe your items. You won't be able to change it later, but if you’d like to add translations in other languages, you will be able to enroll in other languages after opening your shop. Read more about your shop language.
- Shop country: Be sure to select the correct country for your shop. Some seller tools are only available in certain countries at this time.
- Shop currency: Choose the currency you will use to price your listings. Currency conversion fees may apply if your bank's currency is different from your shop currency.
Select whether selling your products is your full-time job or part-time job. This question is for informational purposes only and will not affect the setup of your shop.
Choose your shop name
Choose a memorable name that reflects your style. Shop names must meet the following requirements:
- 4-20 characters in length
- No spaces or special characters
- No profanity
- Not already in use by an existing Etsy member
- Does not infringe on another's trademark
If the shop name you entered is in use, you will see suggestions for other shop names that are still available. Your shop name will be held for you while you open your shop.
Stock your shop
Add items to your shop—you’re almost ready for your big shop debut
Choose how you'll get paid
Choose the payment methods you want to offer in your shop. The following options are available:
- Etsy Payments. This is the main way to get paid on Etsy. See if you're eligible to accept Etsy Payments.
PayPal. If you’re in a country that is not eligible for Etsy Payments, you’re welcome to use your own PayPal account to accept payments.
Check or money order. If you use a payment method that needs to be mailed to you, select Payment by Mail on the Accepted Payments page and select Money Order and/or Check. The address you enter will only be shared with a buyer who purchases from you and chooses this method.
- Other.This means you have another way of accepting payment. Be sure to include information and instructions about your payment method in your listings and shop policies.
Set up billing:
Depending on which country you're in, you may need to enter a credit card to open your shop. The card should be a:
- American Express
- Carte Bleue (France)
We ask sellers in certain countries to keep a credit card on file as a means of identity verification. You may see an authorization charge to verify the card you entered on file. As soon as the card has been verified, the charge will be dropped from your statement.
Your card information is secure with Etsy. You're also welcome to pay your bill via PayPal if you’d prefer.
Note: Sellers located in Austria, Germany, and the Netherlands are not required to have a credit card on file.
Open your shop
When you finish all the sections and enter your billing information, click Open Your Shop on the bottom of the last section. You'll still be able to edit your shop after it's open.
The web address to get to your shop will be:
After you open your shop
Fill out these other sections so buyers can learn more about your shop:
Tips for success
Use the Etsy Seller Handbook as a resource for tips on how to increase visibility and attract buyers on Etsy. Here are a few articles to help you get started: