If you’re located in the US or Canada and you deliver your orders with the USPS, Global Postal Delivery, or Canada Post, you can use calculated postage on Etsy. If you purchase postage labels on Etsy, the package details from the order are automatically imported into the postage label purchase page.
Setting up calculated postage has several steps:
- Set up a delivery profile with calculated postage
- Add size and weight information to your listings
- Add the calculated delivery profile to your listings
If an item is too big or too small to be sent as a USPS, Global Postal Delivery, or Canada Post package, you can still set your own postage rates later.
📫 With calculated postage, you can set things up so that we pre-fill your postage labels purchased on Etsy with each order’s weight, dimensions, and mail class - saving you time. Purchase Etsy Postage Labels.
How to set up a calculated delivery profile
This video (in English) shows how to use delivery profiles to set up calculated postage:
To set up a calculated delivery profile:
- On Etsy.com, click Shop Manager.
- Click Settings.
- Click Delivery settings.
- Click Edit next to an existing profile or Add a delivery profile.
- Select Calculate them for me next to Postage costs.
- Enter the origin zip/postal code where you’ll dispatched your orders from. Postage rates will be calculated based on this location.
- Select a processing time.
- Confirm where you’d like to deliver. Your shop country is a required delivery destination, but you can add or remove other countries. To delivery only to your shop country, remove the checkmark from All countries.
- Confirm which delivery services you’d like to offer.
- Choose if you’d like to offer free delivery.
- Choose if you’d like to add an optional handling fee.
- Name the delivery profile.
- Click Create profile.
How to add size and weight information to your listings
Next, check that your listings have size and weight information added:
- In Shop Manager, click Listings.
- Click Quick Edit.
- In the listings where you want to use calculated postage, enter the weight of the item next to Item weight.
- Enter the size of the item after it’s been prepared for packaging but not yet packaged (for example: folded, but not boxed) next to Item size (when packed).
- Click Exit quick edit.
Make sure that your item weight and size are accurate. These are used to calculate the type of box that would best fit your item(s), and the weight of the package, the size and weight of the box in which the order will be placed, which will affect your buyers' postage costs during checkout.
If you don't want to use Etsy's default box sizes and instead would like us to use boxes you specify, then you can add those as package preferences and disable Etsy's default box sizes.
How to add the calculated delivery profile to your listings
Last, add the calculated delivery profile to your listings:
- Click the checkbox on the listings you want to add this delivery profile to.
- Click Editing options.
- Click Change delivery profiles.
- Select your delivery profile.
- Click Apply.
- When you’re ready, click Publish.
Who can use calculated postage?
Sellers based in the US who deliver with USPS and Global Postal Delivery, and sellers based in Canada who deliver with Canada Post can use calculated postage.
How does calculated postage work?
Calculated postage uses your location, the buyer’s location, and the item’s size and weight to generate postage costs for orders.
Buyers can preview postage costs for your listings that have calculated postage by entering either a zip/postal code or country. We default to the least expensive delivery method that is eligible for the total weight and dimensions of the item.
You’ll see all of the delivery details on both your Sold Orders and Receipt pages that show the package type, package dimensions, and package weight.
What if I list an item too big or too small to send as a USPS, Global Postal Delivery, or Canada Post package?
If the item can’t be sent as a USPS or Canada Post package, you can still manually add postage rates.
There are a few reasons sellers like to do this:
- The package is bigger than the carrier's maximum dimensions (furniture, for example)
- The item is delivered by letter mail instead of in a package
- From Listings in Shop Manager, select the listing that you want to change.
- When adding or editing the listing, scroll down to Delivery options.
- Select Enter custom delivery options.
- Next to Postage cost, change Calculate them for me to I'll enter fixed costs manually.
- Enter your delivery details as normal.