If you’re located in the US or Canada and you ship your orders with the USPS, Global Postal Shipping, or Canada Post, you can use calculated shipping on Etsy. If you purchase shipping labels on Etsy, the package details from the order are automatically imported into the shipping label purchase page.
Setting up calculated shipping has several steps:
- Set up a shipping profile with calculated shipping
- Add size and weight information to your listings
- Add the calculated shipping profile to your listings
If an item is too big or too small to ship as a USPS, Global Postal Shipping, or Canada Post package, you can still set your own shipping rates later.
📫 With calculated shipping, you can set things up so that we pre-fill your shipping labels purchased on Etsy with each order’s weight, dimensions, and mail class - saving you time. Purchase Etsy Shipping Labels.
How to set up a calculated shipping profile
This video (in English) shows how to use shipping profiles to set up calculated shipping:
To set up a calculated shipping profile:
- On Etsy.com, click Shop Manager.
- Click Settings.
- Click Shipping settings.
- Click Edit next to an existing profile or Add a shipping profile.
- Select Calculate them for me next to Shipping costs.
- Enter the origin zip/postal code where you’ll ship your orders from. Shipping rates will be calculated based on this location.
- Select a processing time.
- Confirm where you’d like to ship. Your shop country is a required shipping destination, but you can add or remove other countries. To ship only to your shop country, remove the checkmark from All countries.
- Confirm which shipping services you’d like to offer.
- Choose if you’d like to offer free shipping.
- Choose if you’d like to add an optional handling fee.
- Name the shipping profile.
- Click Create profile.
How to add size and weight information to your listings
Next, check that your listings have size and weight information added:
- In Shop Manager, click Listings.
- Click Quick Edit.
- In the listings where you want to use calculated shipping, enter the weight of the item next to Item weight.
- Enter the size of the item after it’s been prepared for packaging but not yet packaged (for example: folded, but not boxed) next to Item size (when packed).
- Click Exit quick edit.
Make sure that your item weight and size are accurate. These are used to calculate the type of box that would best fit your item(s), and the weight of the package, the size and weight of the box in which the order will be placed, which will affect your buyers' postage costs during checkout.
If you don't want to use Etsy's default box sizes and instead would like us to use boxes you specify, then you can add those as package preferences and disable Etsy's default box sizes.
How to add the calculated shipping profile to your listings
Last, add the calculated shipping profile to your listings:
- Click the checkbox on the listings you want to add this shipping profile to.
- Click Editing options.
- Click Change shipping profiles.
- Select your shipping profile.
- Click Apply.
- When you’re ready, click Publish.
Who can use calculated shipping?
Sellers based in the US who ship with USPS and Global Postal Shipping, and sellers based in Canada who ship with Canada Post can use calculated shipping.
How does calculated shipping work?
Calculated shipping uses your location, the buyer’s location, and the item’s size and weight to generate shipping costs for orders.
Buyers can preview shipping costs for your listings that have calculated shipping by entering either a zip/postal code or country. We default to the least expensive shipping method that is eligible for the total weight and dimensions of the item.
You’ll see all of the shipping details on both your Sold Orders and Receipt pages that show the package type, package dimensions, and package weight.
What if I list an item too big or too small to ship as a USPS, Global Postal Shipping, or Canada Post package?
If the item can’t be shipped as a USPS or Canada Post package, you can still manually add shipping rates.
There are a few reasons sellers like to do this:
- The package is bigger than the carrier's maximum dimensions (furniture, for example)
- The item ships by letter mail instead of in a package
- From Listings in Shop Manager, select the listing that you want to change.
- When adding or editing the listing, scroll down to Shipping options.
- Select Enter custom shipping options.
- Next to Shipping costs, change Calculate them for me to I'll enter fixed costs manually.
- Enter your shipping details as normal.