Setting up calculated shipping has several steps:
- Set up a shipping profile with calculated shipping
- Add size and weight information to your listings
- Add the calculated shipping profile to your listings
How to set up a calculated shipping profile
To set up a calculated shipping profile:
- On Etsy.com, click the Your Account icon, then click Shop Manager.
- Click Settings.
- Click Shipping settings.
- Click Edit next to an existing profile or Add a shipping profile.
- Select Calculate them for me next to Shipping costs.
- Enter the origin zip/postal code where you’ll ship your orders from. Shipping rates will be calculated based on this location.
- Select a processing time.
- Confirm where you’d like to ship. Your shop country is a required shipping destination, but you can add or remove other countries. To ship only to your shop country, remove the checkmark from All countries.
- Confirm which shipping services you’d like to offer.
- Choose if you’d like to offer free shipping.
- Choose if you’d like to add an optional handling fee.
- Name the shipping profile.
- Click Create profile.
You can also add shipping upgrades.
How to add size and weight information to your listings
Next, check that your listings have size and weight information added:
- In Shop Manager, click Listings.
- Click Quick Edit.
- In the listings where you want to use calculated shipping, enter the weight of the item next to Item weight.
- Enter the size of the item after it’s been prepared for packaging but not yet packaged (for example: folded, but not boxed) next to Item size (when packed).
- Click Exit quick edit.
Make sure that your item weight and size are accurate. These are used to calculate the type of box that would best fit your item(s), and the weight of the package, the size and weight of the box in which the order will be placed, which will affect your buyers' postage costs during checkout.
If you don't want to use Etsy's default box sizes and instead would like us to use boxes you specify, then you can add those as package preferences and disable Etsy's default box sizes.
How to add the calculated shipping profile to your listings
Last, add the calculated shipping profile to your listings:
- Click the checkbox on the listings you want to add this shipping profile to.
- Click Editing options.
- Click Change shipping profiles.
- Select your shipping profile.
- Click Apply.
- When you’re ready, click Publish.
Who can use calculated shipping?
Sellers based in the US or Canada can use calculated shipping, which is available for the USPS and Canada Post, respectively.
How does calculated shipping work?
Calculated shipping uses your location, the buyer’s location, and the item’s size and weight to generate shipping costs for orders.
Buyers can preview shipping costs for your listings that have calculated shipping by entering either a zip/postal code or country. We default to the least expensive shipping method that is eligible for the total weight and dimensions of the item.
You’ll see all of the shipping details on both your Sold Orders and Receipt pages that show the package type, package dimensions, and package weight.