You can issue a full or partial refund for an order in your Shop Manager. To refund an order:
- On Etsy.com, open Shop Manager.
- Select Orders & Shipping.
- Choose the … (ellipsis) icon next to the order you want to refund.
- Choose Issue a refund.
- Select a Reason for issuing a refund and add an optional Message to buyer.
- If you want to refund the entire transaction, choose the box by Issue a full refund. If you want to partially refund the transaction, enter the Amount to refund next to the item.
- Select Review refund.
- Select Submit.
Be sure to cancel the order if needed. Canceling is separate from refunding. Learn how to cancel a sale.
What can I issue a refund for?
You can issue any refund in accordance with your shop policies. You can also issue refunds if:
- If you agree to issue a refund to the buyer
- If the buyer is overcharged for shipping
- If the buyer forgot to apply a shop coupon
How do I pay for a refund?
If you use Etsy Payments, the funds for the refund are deducted from your Payment account. If your Payment account doesn’t have enough funds to cover the refund, your credit card on file will be charged for the remaining amount.
If you use another payment method, you’ll need to refund the order through that payment method.
Will Etsy refund my seller fees?
If you refund a buyer through your Shop Manager, your Etsy transaction and processing fees for the refunded transactions are automatically refunded to your Payment account. If you also canceled the transaction, your listing fees are automatically credited to your account.
When can I issue a refund?
If you use Etsy Payments, you can issue a refund after the payment is processed, and before 180 days after the payment is processed. After 180 days have passed, you can’t refund an order through Etsy Payments.
If your shop has a policy that allows for refunds after 180 days, you can refund the buyer through a payment method outside of Etsy, such as PayPal. If you issue this type of refund, Etsy won’t be able to refund your seller fees.
When can't I issue a refund?
If the Issue a Refund button isn’t available, it means the order is non-refundable.
The order may be non-refundable if 180 days have passed since the purchase date, or if the buyer has filed a chargeback for the order. A chargeback is when funds are returned to a buyer after they report an incorrect or unwanted transaction to their financial institution, such as their credit card company, bank, or PayPal. The buyer will need to work directly with their financial institution toward a resolution.